Plan Document Writer
This position will employ technical writing skills to support new business and renewal business plan document needs: creating new plan documents, plan amendments and summaries. A Plan Document Writer will make any changes to Plan Documents, publish, audit, and notify all necessary parties of those changes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create and Maintain plan documents: Summary of Benefits & Compensation (SBC), Summary Plan Description (SPD)Summary, Benefit Plan Descriptions (BPD), and Summary Plan Descriptions.
- Ensure documents comply with federal legislation to cover topics such as what the plan provides, how the plan operates, when participation may begin, how to file a claim, communication changes appropriately and how documents should be distributed.
- Submit completed documents or projects within Service Level Agreement timeframes.
- Work closely with Internal customers to ensure correct documentation is in place.
- Research Plan Document questions using internal and external sources to validate inquiry responses and documentation issues.
- Maintain accurate data in various platforms for variety of end users.
- Writes procedure documentation, in accordance with business goals and legal requirements.
- Create Summary of Material Modifications (SMM) or Summary of Material Reduction in Covered Services or Benefits (SMR) as required.
- Provide timely documentation to users to help them reference, understand how plan changes impact the system.
- Publish, proofread, and edit documents to ensure ongoing compliance and quality.
- Maintain accurate data in various platforms.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience drafting plan documents in a healthcare or benefits TPA setting.
- 3+ years of experience with proficiency acting as a subject matter expert in the Plan Document Writer role or demonstrated, consistent performance in the role.
- Familiarity with, and an understanding of the differences in, each type of Plan Document: SBC, SPD Summary, BPD, SPD, SMM, and SMR.
- Solid working knowledge of standard computer applications including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability using a computer which includes expert keyboard and navigation skills and learning new programs.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with internal and external customers.
- Work effectively as part of a team to achieve established outcomes. Understand other’s roles and empower one another to take responsibility to be successful.
- Demonstrate a collaborative interaction with peers to reach a common goal as well as be a resource to team members and internal/external customers.
- High attention to detail, excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Make decisions using available resources and sound judgment.
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Share knowledge with associates by effectively communicating and providing follow-up. Open to other’s ideas and exhibits a willingness to try new things.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor work to ensure quality.
- Prioritize and plan work activities to use time efficiently.
- Adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Follow instructions, respond to direction, and solicit feedback to improve.
- Act in such a way to instill trust from management, other associates, as well as customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Constant: Talk, hear, speak, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer, telephone, keyboard/mouse.
- Constant: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work for full shift.
- Occasional: Lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Constant: Regular, predictable attendance required.
- Constant: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly sitting for the full shift.