Patient Safety Assistant
Location: Austin, TX
Type: Contract to Hire
We are seeking Patient Safety Assistants to join our team!
Pay: $15/hr, 3pm-1130pm
Requirements: Covid Vaccination, Flu Shot, TB Skin test and American Heart CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for visually and audibly monitoring the assigned patient’s condition and behavior at all times.
- Completes observation reports at established interval.
- Takes initiative in compassionately rendering service or responding to needs.
- Interacts hospitably, cheerfully and supportively with staff, patients, visitors and work colleagues.
- Remains at the bedside of assigned patient at all times unless relieved by an appropriate staff member.
- Verbally redirects the patient from engaging in at risk behaviors. Seeks help or advice as soon as possible when patient appears to be in medical destress or poses a threat and escalates to assigned medical professionals.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues.
- Assures patient environment is safe, reporting any safety hazards to the charge nurse.
- Removes visible hazards and reports, as appropriate.
- Assists in calming and/or reorienting patient in cases of agitation or confusion. Assists with keeping patient's room, safe and orderly. Immediately summons the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance, control, or other nursing interventions or exhibits unusual behavior or verbalizations.
- Immediately reports any potentially dangerous behavior or concerning conversations to the nurse.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patient when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment. Arranges coverage around meal break times with nurse and informs nurse prior to leaving patient for any reason.
- Assists patient with ordering dietary tray, setting up of patient's meal trays, basic positioning of patient, taking a ride in wheelchair and/or ambulation if patient is stable and gait has been previously determined safe by assigned staff nurse. May assist with ambulation, if directed to by the RN.
- Responds rapidly and thoroughly to emergencies, special needs, etc. Accepts suggestions and direction from supervisors and Hospital staff.